Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Charlea

Before this trip, I didn’t show an open mind or passion towards the homeless. I always thought that there were resources available to them if they really wanted to change their lifestyles. Today we participated in Street Sense, and I realized that homeless people appear to be invisible. As I was trying to sell newspapers, people would completely ignore me, or ask why I was trying to make a few dollars. After this experience, I will have a more positive outlook on this situation and more willing to volunteer my time to make a difference.  Another favorite site was Thrive DC.  We were able to prepare the food and and serve to the homelessness.  The people greatly appreciated our service.   After these experiences, it will be hard for me to pass up a homeless person without giving.  If I have nothing to give I will at least talk to them.  They appreciate talking to someone who really does care and shows compassion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment