Thursday, May 28, 2009

David Harris: Reflection- Charlea Reed

I had two favourite places that we worked at this week; DC Thrive and Street Sense. At Street Sense we volunteered on the street corner and stepped into the shoes of the homeless for a couple of hours. During this time i realized that people treated them like they did not exists. This hurt my feelings when I asked them to support the homeless and they did everything to ignore me. It finally hit me they are invisible.
I was furious at the world that they avoided me or couldnt give a dollar for a donnation. The ones that were well dressed were the worse at ignoring and the ones that appeared to be of a lower stats tried to support even if they couldnt give a dollar but emptied their pockets full of change.
In DC i was able to interact with the homeless people and prepare food. Just their smiling and asking tjem how they are birghtens their day. Before this trip I was scared of them and would try to avoid contact. My perspective on the homeless was negativ. Once I arrived at DC Thrive we were able to partake in food preperations and serve the homeless. The opportunities to see the impact of the work done was one of a kind. Street Sense really opened up my eyes. We volunteered on the streets for a couple hours selling papers. During this time I realized that the perfect description of the homeless is 'invisible'. People will find a way to avoid you if at all possible or completely ignore you. I realize that the ones that appear to be upper class ignore the homeless more than the ones that dont look like they have much
Finally my viewpoint on the homeless being lazy compeletely changed. Homesless people are probably the strongest people I know. I personally belive if I was homeless I would give up from depression. I admire the homeless for dighting and trying to get their life back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment