Thursday, May 28, 2009

David Harris: Reflection- Jordan Cole

The day at the McPherson Park was my an unforgettable experience that I shared with my peers and to me was my complete understanding in the plight of the homeless. We set out to hear the stories of the homeless. We talked to several people as we handed them lunches and bottled water they reciprocated with a heartfelt 'thank you'. One man stood out in my mind, We walked toward his park bench and stood there to listen to his story. His name was Dewayne and he had been homeless and living with the HIV virus for 8 years as he continued with his story you could see and hear his emotions with every sentence.
When he had finished his story and thanked everyone for listening to him and for the lunch he had been given Kathy walked over to him and gave him a 50$ note. When she did this we could all see how it lit up his face and filled him with gratitude. He quickly stood up and gave Kathy a warm hug we were standing off to the side watching this and it was heartwarming to see how the man clutched the note in his hand beaming with happiness. At this point I pointed out to JB. amazed at what a 50$ note can really do for someone like Dewayne Seeing this made me relaize just how blessed I truly am to have my family and friends in my life and I will never forget that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment